Thursday, July 26, 2012

REVIEW: The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

Title: The Lifeguard
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Date Published: 3/1/12


Synopsis:
It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with Pilot, the lifeguard with shamanic skills. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.


My Rating:


My Review:

So I guess this could be categorized in the paranormal genre, but it really reads more like a YA Contemporary Romance. The gifts Pilot has are not as much paranormal as mystical, and the focus of the story is on the development of his relationship with Sirena and not the Mystical gifts.


That being said, I really did enjoy this story. This story is in no way a typical YA book. There are a lot of elements that makes it stand out from others and that is a VERY good thing! 


The characters are so easy to connect with and you fall a little in love with all of them by the time it is over. Sirena's relationship with Antonio was on of my favorites. I just think that Antonio is that grandparent you want to have. 


The relationship between Sirena and Pilot was believable and utterly sweet. 


I think there is just generally a new depth to the emotions I got as a reader from this book. I look forward to reading more by Deborah Blumenthal in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment