Author Spotlight: Terra Harmony

Terra Harmony
Author of the Akasha Series

Author Bio: 
Terra was born and raised in Colorado but has since
lived in California, Texas, Utah, North Carolina, and
Virginia. Terra has served a 5½ year enlistment in the
Marine Corp, has earned her bachelor's and master's
degreeand presently runs the language services division
of a small business.

Terra currently lives in a suburb of Washington, DC
with her husband of 13 years and three children.



Author Interview:
Is There a Message in Your Novel That You 
Want Readers to Grasp?
My novel, above anything else, is a contemporary fantasy that
serves to entertain. However, it does include a message
 that intertwines with the main plot. I try to demonstrate how
easy it is for the average person to implement eco-friendly practices
in their daily lives. As the series continues, the message becomes
much darker as the antagonist develops then pursues his theories
of depopulation to better the planet. My characters believe life
 is all about balance – and if humanity can't find the balance, the
planet will.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging
 in your writing?
The biggest challenge is always time. As much as I want to
be, I am not a full-time writer, although it feels as though I
certainly put in the hours! I have a day job and I am a
mother of three young children. Right now, bringing my
books to life mean a lot of late nights and early mornings.
But so far, it has been totally worth it!

How many books have you written and which is 
your favorite?
Books one and two of the Akasha Series are published
as e-books, and I have a vampire series that consists of
five short stories sold as the Kindred Curse Anthology on
Amazon. It would be impossible to choose a favorite; almost
as impossible as choosing one of three kids as my favorite.
My books are all unique in their own ways and I am
very proud of them all (like a good parent should be).

If You had the chance to cast your main character 
from Hollywood today, whowould you pick and why?
Love, love, love that you asked this question! Confession
time – I actually dream of having my book made into a movie
one day, and I already have the soundtrack picked out!
The characters, though, are a different story. There are
 people I know personally that might fit these roles, but they for
sure aren't Hollywood-ites. Needless to say, I had
to put some thought into this. Here goes (and please keep in
 mind this is not a YA book– the characters are all older,
maybe mid 30s):

Kaitlyn (Main Character) –Kaitlyn is definitely not a
cookie-cutter character; so hard to find the right actress!
I think this character might fare better with a somewhat
 unknown actress. Kaitlyn is independent,
sarcastic, and determined. But she has her faults – and

I think this is what the readers ultimately fall in love with.
I guess I imagine
Scarlett Johansson (can't wait to see The Avengers) or
Emma Stone (Superbad, Zombieland, etc.).

To get more of a feel for what Kaitlyn might be like,
check out her character interview here

Micah (Protagonist, Male Lead) – Micah has dark
brown hair, and maybe a bit of a darker complexion,
but has riveting green eyes that have to totally stand out.
He is alsoscruffy, has a 'blue-collar' worker vibe and look,
and could very easily fit the mold of a bad guy
(at least in the way he looks). I imagine Colin Farrell
for this role.Not sure if he has green eyes, but that is
something contacts could correct, right?

Shawn (Antagonist) – In my story, Shawn has
blondish hair and bright blue eyes. He has a bit of a
boyish, playful look to him. All of this makes for a very
disarming bad guy. I'm thinking a young
Josh Halloway (Lost) or
Charlie Hunnam (Jax in Sons of Anarchy).

Susan (Supporting female character) – Susan doesn't
play a large role until the third and fourth books. But she
 is right by Kaitlyn's side when she can be, supporting
many of her decisions. Kaitlyn is Micah's big sister.
She portrays all the qualities I admire in strong women
 – including confidence and compassion. For some reason,
Sigourney Weaver keeps popping in mind for this role –
a much, much younger Sigourney Weaver.
Ghostbusters Sigourney Weaver.

Cato (Supporting male character) – Okay, this
character may be a little cookie cutter-ish. He is the
old, fatherly figure (in fact he adopted Micah, Shawn, and
Susan) and runs the Seven. Dull blue eyes, white scraggly
hair – always knows just what to say. Very Morgan Freeman-like.
Possibly David Carradine (Bill, as in Kill Bill).
Side note– Googling David to make sure I got
the name right led me to realize he died in 2009.
Soooo….he's out.

Alex (Supporting male character) - Alex becomes
 the little brother Kaitlyn never had. He plays a very
big part in the second book.They spend a lot of time together,
 lots of fights over the last cookie, teasing each other, but
ultimately helping each other through their issues.
Alex is the only one of the bunch that doesn't have the ability to
control the elements, so he is very down to earth. He also has a
military background. He is the organization's logistics guy.
 I have to go with Matthew Fox on this one
 (yes, yes – I am a recovering Lost addict).

I know I went way overboard with that question
but I have one more comment. If the book were ever to
make it to film and I was allowed my say – I would definitely
prefer Green celebrities and would insist on eco-friendly
sets and production activities.
Ok – I'm done preaching.

When did you begin writing?
I began writing 15 years ago in high school. It was out
of necessity. My passion was reading, but hiding books
during class was difficult. Not able to force myself out of the
 fantasy world, I began writing instead. I imagine my teachers
just considered me to be a very studious note-taker.

My serious writing began maybe five years ago, which
 is when my story really began to take shape.
My serious, serious writing began last year,
when I took my completed manuscript to critique
groups and editors.

How long did it take to complete your first book?
Oh, soooooo long. I'm not even sure because I have
 incorporated excerpts from my high school days of writing
 into my current manuscript. By contrast, though, the second
book  in the Akasha Series, 'Air' only took six months,
and I expect the third book to take three months.

Did you have an author who inspired you to 
become a writer?
Diana Gabaldon, hands down. I love her Outlander series.
It is evident that so much hard work and research went into
those books, but it is all wrapped up in an epic love story
that is hard to put down!

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
My favorite part is when I surprise myself. I'll sit down to
write, but then my characters take a hard left and
shock even me! I've learned outlining is pointless –
writing has to be an adventure!

Describe your latest book in 4 words.
Fast-paced, adventurous, meaningful, and entertaining!

Can you share a little bit about your current work 
or what is in the future for yourwriting?
Right now I am working on 'Fire, Book Three of the Akasha Series'.
So far, I am having a lot of fun with it! I don't want to say too much,
you'll find no spoilers here.

After the Akasha Series is complete, I have plans to start on a
mermaid series (and yes, it will be 'eco-ish' as well). For now I am
 researching the heck out of ocean life. As with the Akasha Series,
I imagine this to one day be turned into film, therefore long,

extended scenes underwater has to be do-able. My current
conundrum is communication underwater. I don't want to take
the telepathic route – so I've got to get creative. Ideas are
more than welcome!



Author Links:

You can connect with Terra on
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
And don't forget to add 'Water' to your Goodreads TBR list!

Buy 'Water' at any of the following:

Amazon
B&N
Smashwords

And you can find my review of Terra's book "Water" here

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. Thanks for the interview - it was fun! For those that have ready 'Water', I'm curious to know what actresses/actors you would cast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm a follower from Book Blogs.
    Great interview, I loved some of your questions!
    Would love it if you can drop by my blog and follow along @ www.mystorywithyouandher.blogspot.com

    I'll stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete